Building an Innovative, Responsive Website
The GE Intelligent Platforms website, ge-ip.com, was ancient by web standards. Built on a customized platform, the site used 8-year old technology, was not responsive for mobile users, and lacked the foundation to build higher functionality. We needed a site that was innovative in its design, easy to navigate on desktop and mobile and simple to maintain with related materials loaded/updated once but used throughout the site. The site had to be engaging, help visitors find what they needed, and create clear calls to action.
I led the team that transformed this site.
Some of the many successes:
- Simplifying the URL: From ge-ip.com to geautomation.com
- Changing the focus: From company centric to customer centric
- Creating a more maintainable web admin: Upload/update materials once and appear throughout the site
- Encouraging cross-sell opportunities: From product pages that were “end pages” to “more like this”
- Adding more educational and thought leadership materials: Blogs, e-zines and micro sites to engage visitors
- Humanizing the approach: From Contact Us forms to How can we help you? and self-help materials
- Updating the technology: From static to responsive with mobile first designs